Text Resize

Endowed Scholarships

How To Establish An Endowed Scholarship

Many persons share with Point Loma Nazarene University the belief that limited economic means should not deprive able students of a university education. These persons will find particular satisfaction in establishing an endowed scholarship fund. Such scholarship funds may be named for the donor, or for a friend or relative of his/her choice. A gift to scholarship endowment is an especially significant memorial; for perpetuity it will provide educational opportunity to a succession of carefully selected young men and women. An endowed named scholarship may be established through a gift to endowment of $20,000 or more. Endowed scholarships are currently funded once the principal reaches $20,000. If you are not able to fully fund the endowment with a single gift, your pledge to establish the fund may be extended for three years. As the donor, you may place reasonable restrictions on the selection process (i.e., to award aid to particular academic disciplines, to students attaining a required grade point average or demonstrating financial need).

Making A Gift to An Existing Scholarship

Any amount may be given to increase existing endowed scholarships. Friends of the University have established a number of special scholarship and loan funds to assist students attending PLNU. Generally, these scholarships are awarded only to continuing students, i.e., current students who will be sophomores, juniors, or seniors. Various academic and other departments are responsible for awarding these scholarships, and each department has its own application process and deadline. If you are interested in adding to an existing scholarship, please view the list of existing endowed scholarships and select a scholarship from the list under the department that interests you. Please forward your contribution, marked for that scholarship, to University Advancement, Point Loma Nazarene University, 3900 Lomaland Drive, San Diego, CA 92106. Additional information is available by calling Kathy Meza at (619) 849-2540. Continuing students who are interested in applying for these scholarships should contact the department under which the scholarship is listed.